One day I was just browsing through different cake decorating ideas and I came across this super simple smarties cake decorating idea that was fairly easy and looked really cool. I pinned it and decided I was definitely going to make it for someones birthday.
It just happened that about two weeks after I found it my friend Carly’s birthday was coming up so I decided I would make it for her on our weekend out at the cabin for canada day.
So to start I realised I needed smarties, A LOT of smarties, so I headed to the local bulk store to buy a massive amount of the candy coated chocolate pieces.
This is what twenty dollars in Smarties looks like.
Okay so I may have gone a little over board on the smarties but I wanted to make sure I had enough.
What you will need:
A LARGE amount of smarties ( or M&M’s)
- 2 containers of icing (what ever flavor you choose)
- 1 cake mix of your choice
- cake pans
- surface for the cake
How to make the cake:
- Follow the directions on the cake mix and split the cake into two round cake pans
- Bake as directed, then let cool
- Once the cakes are cooled flip them out of the pans onto the surface that you are creating the cake on.
- Ice in between the two cakes and then place one on top of the other
- Ice a generous layer onto the entire surface of the cake
- Organize the smarties into colors and then create a swirly pattern across the cake
- Continue to follow the pattern adding an extra row each different colour until the whole cake is covered
- Add all the extra smarties around the base
- VOILA a really cool looking cake
My Pin link: